Gluten Free Crawfish Étouffee c/o Cajun Crate
- 1/2 cup of Zydeco Chop Chop (ZCC)
- 1/2 cup of Baker Farms Rice Flour
- 1 Can of Diced tomatoes
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 lbs. of Crawfish
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. of Slap Ya Mama White Pepper Cajun Seasoning
The ZCC and Slap Ya Mama are both Gluten Free seasonings. And if you are wondering about the flour... rice flour is gluten free! This is how you can make a roux for gumbo, étouffée, etc., gluten free!
Our crawfish was frozen so we used 1tbs. of Cajun Seasoning but if you saved your crawfish from a previous boil then you should season to taste. We also added salt because this version of Slap Ya Mama has less salt than other seasonings, but if you use another brand of Cajun Seasoning then you may want to cut out the salt.
By using Zydeco Chop Chop we were able to skip the step of chopping up bell peppers, onions, garlic, and celery!
- Rehydrate Zydeco Chop Chop in 1 cup of water and set aside.
- In a 5qt. pot melt the 2 sticks of butter.
- After the butter is melted, stir in 1/2 cup of flour and stir.
- Cook on medium heat and stir roux until it is a golden brown
- When the roux is a golden brown or the color you desire, add the tomatoes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water to the pot and stir. Cover and simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rehydrated ZCC, stir and simmer covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Add the crawfish tails and 1 cup of hot water.
- Raise the heat until it starts to simmer, replace lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Service over rice and enjoy!