Full of tasso, ham hock, and deep southern flavors, Chef Carolyn Shelton put her Zydeco Chop Chop twist on sauteed cabbage! Whether it sits on a pot luck table or is the compliment to dinner, (may we suggest our Smothered Pork Chops) no one will be able to leave the table with out a smile on their face and some southern love in their heart!
2 oz tasso
2 oz smoked ham hocks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 white onion
1/2 cup Zydeco Chop Chop, dry
1 head of cabbage, roughly chopped
1/2 a head red cabbage, roughly chopped
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. Add tasso and ham hock, saute until slightly brown (3-5 minutes)
3. Place onions in the pan, allow to caramelize.
4. Add Zydeco Chop Chop to the pan, stir to fully incorporate into meat and onions.
5. Add cabbage, water, sugar, and salt/pepper to the skillet, stir to combine all ingredients.
6. Cover, allow cabbage to soften for 10-15 minutes.